KC’s Obituary


“When the Music’s over, Turn out the Lights”

KC passed away on Saturday night at 10.30. He died of a cardiac arrest, just minutes after he’d come back from his late evening walk, and which would be his last.

I was in Mysore that night when I got the call. I checked out and drove back in the early hours of Sunday morning to find my KC wrapped up in a rug, sleeping in peace. I was heartbroken and tears swelled my eyes.

Under normal circumstances he’d be at the door, wagging his tail to express his joy at my having returned. I’d go to the bedroom to keep my bags and he’d jump onto the bed, lie fully stretched and unless I petted him for 3-4 minutes, he wouldn’t let go off me.

He had been unwell the last month or so. It all started with a severe attack of arthritis. Then he developed kidney infection and later he contracted tick fever, though he never had ticks. We made frequent trips to the Vet and each time he showed signs of recovery, he’d be down again.

He was in obvious pain throughout. He had become so weak that he hadn’t the energy to chase the monkeys from our back yard something he’d do with alarming speed. He was a good eater, but in that one month he hardly had any appetite. Somehow we’d coax him and most times hand feed him so that he got some food into his system. In no time he’d lost 6-8 kgs of weight.

But off-late there were signs of improvement. His appetite had improved. He ate a bit more food and on his own, and was keen to go on short walks.

The last visit to the Vet was on Wednesday the 13th. The doctor examined him and said that his health was showing remarkable improvement. Based on that reassurance, I left for Mysore on Friday morning for a 3-day trip.

On Saturday, he had eaten well through out the day and after his walk at about 10.15 pm, he sat in the kitchen in his customary position watching his mummy - my wife - make chapattis. Suddenly, his eyes began to bloat and his gaze fixed at her. My wife dropped what she was doing and rushed to him, “KC, what’s the matter? Why are you looking like that?” He raised his head one last time and collapsed.

KC’s favorite spot in our back yard, where he would always sit when we had our morning and evening tea was chosen as his final resting place.

At 10.30 - 12 hours after he died - he was laid to rest, in the presence of half-a-dozen of friends from the layout, who had their share of love and affection from KC.

KC gave us 10 years of joy and happiness and his passing away has plunged us into grief. He was family to us. He went through bouts of excruciating pain these few weeks and in one way, he’s out of that agony.

Tears are rolling down my eyes even as I write this. While it’ll take us a while to get over the loss, KC will always be in the hearts of his Mummy, Daddy, two Brothers, his Sister-in-Law, and his 2 and half-year old niece Sagarika, whom he was so very fond off.

Sleep in peace, my son!